What are Theatre Tokens?
Theatre Tokens was created in 1984 to encourage UK theatre going and audience development which remains our aim to this day.
Theatre Tokens is the UK theatre industry's only national gift voucher scheme that is administered by Society of London Theatre on a not for profit basis. Any profits generated are reinvested in promoting UK theatre.
Currently over 240 theatres across the UK sell and accept Theatre Tokens and in doing so attract new customers, increase ticket sales and generate additional income. Our ultimate goal is that every theatre, however large or small, joins the scheme to make it a truly national scheme.
Are we achieving our goals?
- 35% of people purchase enough Theatre Tokens for the recipient to buy 2 tickets. This equates to an average purchase amount of £86*.
- 36% of people indicated they would use Theatre Tokens to buy tickets for something they may otherwise not have seen or to visit a venue for first time
- 68% of people purchase for birthdays – meaning sales opportunities year round.
- Nearly 10% of people buy for an infrequent or non-theatregoer. In real terms this means an additional 20,500** tickets were sold in 2013 to new audiences.
- 26% of Theatre Tokens redeemers would definitely spend money on additional items such as drinks and programmes as a result of having used Theatre Tokens to purchase their tickets.
- 40% of people usually spend between £5 - £10 on programmes, drinks, sweets and ice cream in the theatre. 34% would spend more than £10 (including 2% that would be likely to spend more than £25 in a visit).
(SOLT research 2014).
*Based on www.TheatreTokens.com sales in 2013.
**Figure based on 10% of overall sales and average regional ticket price calculated by UK Theatre 2013.
Key additional points
- Joining the scheme is free
- Theatres are paid commission on every Theatre Token sold (VAT exempt)
- Theatres only pay for Theatre Tokens once they have sold them
- Theatre Tokens supplies the presentation wallets and envelopes free of charge, as well as point-of-sale material to help theatres generate sales
- Theatre Tokens bring new audiences to the theatre
- Theatre Tokens is the only major nationwide marketing campaign in the arts, with a year-round promotional campaign aimed at raising theatre attendances
- Some theatres sell Theatre Tokens alongside their own local gift vouchers and the two work well together
Why are they popular?
Both consumers and corporates purchase Theatre Tokens. Consumers tend to buy them as gifts, corporates as rewards and incentives for staff or suppliers. Whilst the majority of sales take place around Christmas, there are also steady sales throughout the year. Consumers particularly like them because they are flexible, can be used nationwide, have no expiry date and are a special and personal gift to give for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas and special occasions, ultimately they are giving a memorable evening of entertainment.
If you were thinking of buying a gift for someone special, what better than an unforgettable night out at the theatre? With Theatre Tokens they choose exactly what they want to see, when they want to see it – so how can "You" get it wrong!